inctpc-list@list.cityoftacoma.org

Members of Intergovernmental Network Consortium of Tacoma-Pierce County

View all threads

ACL change planned on county router this afternoon

AW
Adam Wilhoit
Thu, Jul 9, 2015 2:47 PM

Hello All,

In an effort to correct a routing issue that a King County customer is having, CTS is planning the addition of an entry to the ACL on their IGN router, CNTY2701.  This will block advertisement of 146.129.0.0/16 only, while continuing to allow the more specific prefixes within the 146.129.0.0/16 network through.  They are planning this change for 4pm today.

I've attached CTS's view of the routes that are currently being advertised within that network.

Kind regards,

Adam Wilhoit
Pierce County IT - Network Team
direct: (253)798-8522

Hello All, In an effort to correct a routing issue that a King County customer is having, CTS is planning the addition of an entry to the ACL on their IGN router, CNTY2701. This will block advertisement of 146.129.0.0/16 only, while continuing to allow the more specific prefixes within the 146.129.0.0/16 network through. They are planning this change for 4pm today. I've attached CTS's view of the routes that are currently being advertised within that network. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Kind regards, Adam Wilhoit Pierce County IT - Network Team direct: (253)798-8522
WK
Wiebe, Ken
Thu, Jul 9, 2015 4:51 PM

All,

I have a concern about this change.  My concern is that I am only being given a few hours to determine whether the change may be service-affecting.  And in addition, as we all know, even when enough time is allowed to review changes in advance, there is always the chance that a change will have an unexpected impact.  A similar change occurred the end of May which caused an unexpected outage for City of Tacoma critical services.

I realize the intent of this change is to correct a problem a specific individual customer is experiencing, however due to the dynamic nature of the routing relationships among the parties, in my opinion even these types of changes should be announced at least one week in advance of the scheduled implementation.  Two weeks would be preferable.

Thanks

Ken Wiebe
City of Tacoma
Network Transport Group Lead